Hypertension, or high blood pressure, can develop for any number of reasons – family history, older age, gender or race – and it affects one in every three adults in America. But certain lifestyle factors can also contribute, and over time, hypertension can damage blood vessels and lead to conditions like heart disease, stroke or kidney disease.
While there is no cure for hypertension, there are management techniques for your condition, whatever its stage. Care is typically managed in coordination with your primary care physician. But if you are managing hypertension with other injuries or illnesses, your care can become increasingly complicated. In that case, your care may be provided in a healthcare facility or monitored through a home care agency.
Your physician at each level will work with you and your loved ones to design a treatment plan specific to your needs. Your treatment plan could include:
- Education on healthy lifestyle changes, such as smoking and alcohol cessation or weight loss
- Medication regimen to control your blood pressure
- Physical therapy designed for your needs and abilities
- Techniques for managing and coping with stress
- Instructions in self-monitoring of vital signs (blood pressure, pulse) and symptoms to report to your physician(s)
If you are experiencing side effects of your medications, talk to your doctor, as there are many options to control high blood pressure. However, if you are living with complications from hypertension, you need an interdisciplinary care approach that will help you regain independence and manage your pain and symptoms.
At Kindred, we offer services that can address the cardiac, neurologic or diabetic services you need when you are living with hypertension in addition to other health concerns. Our interdisciplinary care team designs a specialized treatment plan tailored to your needs.
Our interdisciplinary care team includes:
- Nurses knowledgeable in hypertension-related conditions
- Physical, occupational, respiratory and speech therapists
- Social workers
- Registered Dietitians
- Case managers
To learn more about the services we offer, select one of the care settings below: